WALTERS STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE
MID-EAST TENNESSEE REGIONAL P-16 COUNCIL MEETING
MEETING THEMEà P-16: The Heart of Education
DATE: February 8, 2007
TIME: 12:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m.
PLACE: Walters State Community College,
Dr. Jack E. Campbell College Center
Duggins Foundation Room
ATTENDANCE: 37 attendees / 8 counties represented
Dr. Wade McCamey __x___ ______
Dr. Lori Campbell __x___ ______
Linda Roberts __x___ ______
Flora Craig (Guest Speaker) __x___ ______
Dr. Foster Chason __x___ ______
Dr. Nancy Brown __x___ ______
Karen Stooksbury __x___ __ ___
Sidney Hall __x___ ______
Dru Miller __x___ ______
Sue Frazier __x___ ______
Cathy Woods __x___ ______
Tom Sewell __x___ ______
Kim Gunnin __x___ ______
Kim Wilder __x___ ______
B. J. Lowe __x___ ______
Tammy Wells __x___ ______
Doug Keith ______ __x___
Allen Nix ______ __x___
Mayor Joe Tyler Duncan __x___ ______
Mayor Iliff McMahan __x___ ______
Mayor Mark Hipsher __x___ ______
Mayor Larry Lay __x___ ______
Dr. Joy Collingsworth __x___ ______
Dr. Janet Barnard __x___ ______
Dr. Mike Belcher __x___ ______
Dr. Joe Parkins ______ __x___
Dr. Dale Lynch ______ __x___
Dr. Charles Thomas ______ __x___
Dr. James Netherton ______ __x___
Dr. Nancy Moody ______ __x___
Dr. Dolphus Henry ______ __x___
Dr. Hal Knight ______ __x___
Dr. Brenda Dean ______ __x___
Jill Eatherly ______ __x___
Tish Jones __x___ ______
Don Hurst __x___ ______
Erlinda McMeel __x___ ______
Lynn Elkins __x___ ______
Terry Acuff __x___ ______
Edwin Jarnagin __x___ ______
ATTENDANCE, continued: Present Absent
Larry Blazer __x___ ______
John Dean __x___ ______
Steve Hill __x___ ______
Gina Buckner __x___ ______
Wayne Goforth __x___ ______
Sam McCollough __x___ ______
Jim Hageman __x___ ______
Gloria Silvers __x___ ______
Roger Hansard ______ __x___
Tommy Bible ______ __x___
Diana Gibson ______ __x___
Sherry Butler ______ __x___
Mike Collins ______ __x___
George Shirley ______ __x___
Nancy Causey ______ __x___
Oliver “Buzz” Thomas ______ __x___
Roger Jones ______ __x___
Robbie Mitchell ______ __x___
Tracy Horner ______ __x___
Sherry Hood ______ __x___
Jamie Chapman ______ __x___
Breck Habegger ______ __x___
Andy Smith ______ __x___
Kay Senter ______ __x___
Mike Fishman ______ __x___
Mike Antrican ______ __x___
Kim Belcher ______ __x___
Gary Seal ______ __x___
Jack Mullins ______ __x___
Nancy Barker ______ __x___
Clayton Armstrong ______ __x___
Doug Moody ______ __x___
Jack Rhyne ______ __x___
Laura Duncan ______ __x___
Diana Merriman ______ __x___
Linda Irwin ______ __x___
ORDER OF DISCUSSION:
SUBJECT: Welcome & Introduction
HIGHLIGHTS: Linda Roberts, Co-coordinator of the Mid-East TN Regional P-16 Council, introduced the meeting of February 8, 2007. Dr. Wade McCamey, President, Walters State Community College, welcomed the council members. Dr. McCamey introduced the county mayors who were present for the P-16 meeting and expressed our appreciation for their attendance. In his opening remarks, Dr. McCamey shared with the council members exciting WSCC accomplishments for 2006 including national championships earned plus fundraiser monies received that will assist in ongoing and new projects.
SUBJECT: Updates – Review of September Minutes / New Staff / Tech Prep Workshop
· Linda Roberts thanked Bobby and Ann Phillips for their work in providing lunch for the P-16 Council meeting.
· Ms. Roberts introduced Tammy Wells as the new Executive Aide in the Office of Distance Education effective February 1, 2007.
· Minutes from the September 14, 2006 meeting were distributed to each council member present. The minutes were reviewed and approved – motion granted by Lynn Elkins and 2nd by Dr. Lori Campbell.
· Ms. Roberts distributed a laminated page, “What is P-16?”, for each council member. This page is a concise, brief view of P-16 that can be used as a reference tool.
· Linda Roberts and Cathy Woods, Coordinator of Tech Prep, have partnered together to offer HTML Training for Technical Education high school teachers. Ms. Roberts thanked Cathy Woods for her efforts.
SUBJECT: Updates – Fall Math Workshops / Pre-Permit Traffic Safety
· Dr. Lori Campbell noted the accepted P-16 Vision Statement stated at the top of the agenda, “P-16: 10 Counties Working Together and Improving Lives Through Educaton”.
· Dr. Campbell commented on the Math Initiative that began 3 years ago as a vision important for ACT college readiness. 181 high school and middle school teachers received free staff development for the Mid-East P-16 Initiative. The TN Higher Education Commission noticed the effort as a “significant contribution”.
· Future plans are for a Summer Institute to be coordinated and to be led by Dr. Mike Belcher, Hancock County Schools.
· Dr. Campbell challenged the council members to continue to be visionary in making sure our children are educated.
· Dr. Campbell discussed the Pre-Permit Driving Safety Program as a successful program.
SUBJECT: Gear-Up Grant
HIGHLIGHTS: Linda Roberts welcomed Flora Craig, special guest speaker from the TN Higher Education Commission Gear-Up Grant for East Tennessee. A federal grant of $3.5 million was received for GEAR-UP, Gaining Early Awareness ______. This program has helped many students. TN Higher Education Commission wants to partner with P-16 Councils and money is available for students.
SUBJECT: Three-Star Program
HIGHLIGHTS: Linda Roberts thanked Don Hurst, Cocke County Community and Economic Development Board, for attending the council meeting. Mr. Hurst spoke on the Three Star Program for Economic Preparedness and how this can help local officials to improve economic situations in their respective counties. The top 5 issues for strategic planning were discussed: 1) Tourism in county; 2) Infrastructure planning in county; 3) Workforce development; 4) Business improvements; and 5) Education improvement.
SUBJECT: Work Sessions
HIGHLIGHTS: Linda Roberts asked the council to form 4 teams/work sessions to plan for next year. Ms. Roberts asked the groups to expand efforts, tackle new projects, think of ways to grow and ways to work together. Ms. Roberts suggested the following people to join the teams:
MATH INITIATIVE – Dr. Mike Belcher, Lead
Cathy Woods, Kim Wilder, Gloria Silvers, Jim Hageman, and others
Note: WSCC is hosting the Math Bowl on March 20 (200+ people from 17 area schools).
READING INITIATIVE – Dr. Janet Barnard, Lead
Karen Stooksbury, Dr. Joy Collingsworth, Sidney Hall, John Dean, and others
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT – Don Hurst, Lead
County Mayors, Steve Hill, Wayne Goforth, Gina Buckner, and others
EDUCATIONAL FORUM – Lynn Elkins, Lead
Tish Jones, Dru Miller, Sue Frazier, Sam McCollough, Edwin Jarnagin, Flora Craig, and others
Ms. Roberts asked the teams to meet for approximately 25 minutes, write ideas down, and designate someone to present your ideas to the council. The following ideas were reported by the assigned spokesperson of each initiative:
MATH INITIATIVE – Spokesperson: Cathy Woods
Cathy Woods reported to the council 3 ideas:
1) Math transition from high school to college
2) Using technology integration in math departments
3) Effective lesson planning.
READING INITIATIVE – Spokesperson: Linda Roberts
Linda Roberts reported to the council 3 ideas:
1) Best practices in reading in ten county area (share)
2) Bring in big names in reading for instructors in ten county area (costs $ to do workshops)
3) Response to intervention -- assessing and reassigning students – consistently encourage resources to share.
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT – Spokesperson: Don Hurst
Don Hurst reported to the council 4 ideas:
1) Regional unified approach to economic development
2) Address elected bodies within regions to ensure economic development
3) Accessibility and connectiveness
4) Educational standards for better prepared workers.
EDUCATIONAL FORUM – Spokesperson: Lynn Elkins
Lynn Elkins reported to the council 3 ideas:
1) Suggested date of 3rd week of May for Educational Forum – May 15th or 17th
2) Build on Hamblen County Forum to better identify what postsecondary skills high school students need for higher education or workplace
3) Established Planning Committee: Don Hurst, Tish Jones, Sue Frazier, Dru Miller, Dr. Lori Campbell, Linda Roberts, Lynn Elkins
4) Plans to invite the Governor.
SUBJECT: Local Council Updates – Claiborne County and Hamblen County
HIGHLIGHTS: Sam McCollough provided an update of the Claiborne County council.
· A large turnout for the P-16 meeting at Claiborne High School, including the Director of Schools, focused on improving graduation rates.
· Mr. McCollough discussed the LMU Building to house the Osteopathic School of Medicine and the Renaissance Center.
· The Claiborne County Council worked with the Chamber to establish the 3-Star Award.
· The council worked with the Chamber to establish the mentoring program, “Leadership Claiborne”.
· Mr. McCollough expressed his appreciation to the mayor for attending the meeting and for the mayor’s support of the programs.
Lynn Elkins provided an update of the Hamblen County council.
· Lynn Elkins shared with the council the new P-16 bus that was donated to the school. The TN Technology Center has worked to remodel this bus.
· P-16 Educational Forum has been airing on the Charter Cable channel 7.
· DVD production by WSCC
· HC Excell grant from Public Network for Youth Summit
· Identified “Big 8 Principles” to develop high school graduates.
· Working with Barbara Simmons at Central Services to establish a P-16: Supply Depot where all teachers can get free or low cost supplies.
SUBJECT: Action Items / Announcements
HIGHLIGHTS: The following actions are requested:
· P-16 Statewide TBR Meeting, Nashville – March 14
· Math Bowl Competition, WSCC – March 20
· Next P-16 Council Meeting, WSCC – April 12
· P-16 Educational Forum, WSCC – May 17
The meeting began at 12:40 p.m. following noon lunch and adjourned at 3:00 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by Tammy Wells